About Bord Gáis
- The new headquarters and control centre of Bord Gáis is located at Little Island, Co. Cork.
- Natural Gas production officially begins as the first deliveries of gas are received by An Taoiseach, Jack Lynch
- Work to bring the Natural Gas ashore begins, as does the onshore construction. By 19th December gas pipelines were constructed to two ESB stations and the NET plant.
- The Gas Act (1976) is approved by the Oireachtas establishing Bord Gáis Éireann as the State Gas Development Agency
- Bord Gáis Éireann is established as a limited company and signs a contract with the exploration company for the supply of Natural Gas from the Kinsale field.
- The commercial viability of the Natural Gas find is confirmed
- Natural Gas is discovered off the Old Head of Kinsale, Co. Cork.
- Exploration begins in the Celtic Sea, off the South Coast of Ireland by Marathon Petroleum Ireland Ltd. for Natural Gas.
Back to top